The Chinese manufacturer DJI, the leader in the drones market, has hit the consumer market with the first drone that offers optical zoom. We are speaking here about DJI Mavic 2 Pro which makes a significant leap in the image quality offered.
About Mavic 2 Pro
The new Mavic 2 Pro is the first consumer drone equipped with a Hasselblad camera that allows you to shoot with a 1-inch 20-megapixel CMOS sensor, 24mm f2.8 lens and variable aperture from f2.8 to f11. Moreover, the Mavic 2 Pro can grab 4K video with 10-bit color depth, HDR mode which offers greater performance while shooting aerial sequences.
The Mavic 2 Pro is very similar with the previous well known model, Mavic Pro. We are speaking about another small drone with foldable design and very attractive.
Having the same characteristics except of the camera and the slight modifications in the design, we can see that we have 2 models here, Mavic 2 Pro and Mavic 2 Zoom, both with that comfortable folding design.
Choosing the Mavic 2 Pro, users have found more superior image quality.
The aircraft’s quality and design keeps up the step with the DJI technologies and expectations. Mavic 2 Pro is very easy to carry in your backpack, even if you have so many other tools inside, as well as very easy to get used to it and fly.
Because the battery is a bit bigger, the drone is also a bit more heavier, but with this, it wins another extra 4 minutes of flight.
Another interesting aspect in the design is the gimbal protection. No more headaches regarding the gimbal movement now. Mavic 2 Pro comes with microSD and USB C slots and a button to connect the remote controller with the drone.
Mavic 2 Pro vs. Mavic 2 Zoom comparison
|Mavic 2 Pro||Mavic 2 Zoom|
|Dimensions||91 x 214 x 84 mm||91 x 214 x 84 mm|
|Maximum flight height||6000m above sea level||6000m above sea level|
|Battery||Maximum autonomy 31 minutes in optimal flight conditions|
|Maximum flight speed||72 km / h in Sport Mode|
|Operating frequency||2.4 and 5.5 Ghz (OcuSync 2.0)|
|GNSS||GPS and Glonass|
|Detection system||Omnidirectional obstacle detection|
|Camera||Hasselblad Sensor 1 ”CMOS 20MP||1/23 ”CMOS 12MP sensor|
|Opening||Variable F2.8 / F11||F2.8 (28mm) /F3.8 (48mm)|
|Photography||Maximum resolution 5472 x 3648 (JPG and DNG)||Maximum resolution 4000 x 3000 (JPG and DNG)|
|Video||4K at 24/25 / 30p, 2.7K at 24/25/30/48/50 / 60p and FHD at 24/25/30/48/50/60 / 120p|
|Color modes||DLog-M (10 Bit), allows HDR video (HLG 10 Bit)||D-Cinelike|
|Recording format||MP4 / Mov (H264 and H265 codec)|
|Storage||8GB internal plus microSD slot (compatible with capacity up to 128GB and UHS-I Class 3 read / write speed)|
Mavic 2 Pro camera quality
It’s clearly that carrying a Hasselblad camera, the Pro model is preferred by professional Youtubers or Instagrammers which want to provide that extra image quality in their videos.
The integrated camera allows you to take pictures at a resolution of 20MP, but more exciting is that the 1-inch sensor grabs 4K video at 30fps and 100 Mbps bit rate, and thanks to the DLog-M color profile the colors are more vibrant, with smoother transitions.
Having extra quality, Mavic 2 Pro goes to another level in terms of image delivery and it definitely becomes an option to purchase.
Flying a Mavic 2 Pro
Although the obstacle detection system does not work in all modes (normal, tripod and sport), the drone’s behavior seems to be very satisfying. There are no special tips to know for first time users, so anyone can quickly get used to take off in minutes.
The new improvements in the electronic part makes that everyone feels comfortable piloting Mavic 2 Pro. In the air, Mavic 2 Pro is stable, the response is very fast and thanks to the OcuSync 2.0 transmission system, you can fly the drone up to 8km distance, sending the video with the lowest delay.
Regarding the remote controller, it has also been improved. Now you have better access to the home button in the case your drone runs without signal, speakers and sensors attached. Besides the classic detachable sticks, there’s now a switch allowing you to choose between the Mavic 2 Pro flight modes.
Mavic 2 Pro flight autonomy
In optimal conditions, Mavic 2 Pro can fly up to 31 minutes. Depending on the weather conditions or modes used, you can balance between 25 and 30 minutes which is not bad at all.
On the other hand, the remote controller runs approximately two and a half hours, so you can fly more while switching Mavic 2 Pro batteries.
Mavic 2 Pro intelligent flight modes:
- Normal mode: you control the drone with the controller with total freedom
- Hyperlapse: exclusive video mode that allows defining a trajectory and recording video
- Quickshot: create an automated flight path and effect
- Active Tracking (ActiveTrack): new version 2.0 much more precise, capable of intuiting the trajectory of the object if it loses sight of it and with the possibility of following 1 subject out of up to 16 possible ones
- Point of interest: you define the point you want to record and the drone will move in a circle where you can adjust height and speed
- Trajectory (Waypoints): you define a series of points on the map that the drone will travel
- TapyFly: allows you to send the drone to the point on the map by just selecting it on the screen
- Cinematic modes: smoothness when capturing video in different types of movement, rotation and speed
Mavic 2 Pro rapid shooting modes:
- Asteroid: captures a sequence from start to finish where it ends up generating a planet with the image
- Boomerang: performs the flight of a boomerang in which the drone moves away and returns to approach the defined subject
- Rocket: with the perpendicular camera, raise the drone, take the capture and lower it again
- Circle: the drone rotates around the specific target at constant speed, height and distance
- Helix: spiral around the defined object
The sensors attached to the aircraft are doing a great job helping it not to crash or make accidents, allowing you to enjoy more and grab quality footage.
Thanks to its flight capabilities, performant camera and the ease in handling, the Mavic 2 Pro becomes a very desirable product, like most of the DJI products.
So, if you plan to make an investment in your audiovisual content, you will pay a bit more than $1000 for this magnificent aircraft.
Drones with safe and precise flight, Mavic 2 Pro and Mavic 2 Zoom are perfectly fulfilling what they promise.